If you are a school leaver and you want to be considered for HEAR, you must follow the steps below.
Applicants applying for HEAR must:
- Be under the age of 23 as of 1 January 2017.
- Apply online to CAO by 17:15 on 1 February 2017. CAO applications open on 4 November 2016 at 12 noon.
- No later than 17:15 on 1 March 2017, indicate in your CAO application that you wish to apply for the HEAR scheme and fully and correctly complete all elements of the HEAR form. Once you have completed the HEAR application form you will get a checklist which tells you which documents you need to supply.
- Post your supporting documents to arrive in CAO no later than 17:15 on 1 April 2017.
To complete your HEAR application you must:
Get assistance from your parents or guardians and use the application handbook to help you answer all the relevant question on your online HEAR application.
- Applications for HEAR can only be made online.
- Closing dates are final.
- Please note that your HEAR application is separate from your standard CAO application which will be processed as normal following your Leaving Certificate results.
Carrying forward HEAR eligibility from 2016 to 2017
Please do not complete this section if you did not apply to or were not eligible for HEAR last year.
Eligibility for HEAR carries forward for one year provided that you:
- apply to CAO by 17:15 on 1 February 2017 and indicate that you wish to apply to HEAR by 17:15 on 1 March 2017.
- supply your correct CAO 2016 application number.
The outcome of your 2016 HEAR application was communicated to you in writing in June 2016. If you applied to CAO in 2016 and you were deemed eligible for HEAR in 2016, then your HEAR eligibility can be carried forward to your application for entry in 2017. You must enter your correct CAO 2016 application number in the box provided. You are still required to complete all relevant sections of the 2017 HEAR application form, however you do not need to supply supporting documents as part of your application. You can contact the CAO helpdesk if you require information about your 2016 HEAR eligibility.
In the event of being offered and accepting a HEAR place in 2017, you may be required to provide the original documents, which accompanied your 2016 HEAR application.
This section is only relevant to applicants who made a HEAR application and were eligible in 2016 (e.g. applicants who are now repeating the Leaving Certificate).