Applicants to DARE or HEAR who have missed the March 15 deadline (i.e. who have not provided any DARE or HEAR support documentation by the deadline) can make an appeal to the CAO Independent Appeals Commission on the following grounds.
Appeals relating to missing the March 15 deadline will only be considered
Where a significant difficulty was encountered in gathering and/or submitting DARE or HEAR supporting documents, that was beyond the control of the applicant.
The applicant must have made a reasonable and timely effort to get documentation.
Third-party or objective documentary evidence must be provided to support this.
Examples of why an applicant might appeal on these grounds may include:
- They had made reasonable attempts to request DARE or HEAR supporting documents in a timely fashion (i.e. initiating this by 15 February) but had not received documents in advance of March 15.
- A significant event occurred that was beyond their control, e.g. they were hospitalised for a significant period, and as a result were unable to gather or submit their documents by March 15.
Examples of documentary evidence may include:
- A letter from the relevant body or organisation explaining that the applicant had requested supporting documentation for the purposes of DARE and/or HEAR and due to an oversight or unforeseen delay at the organisation’s end, they were unable to provide that documentation in a timely manner.
- Email correspondence with the relevant body or organisation clearly showing that the applicant had requested supporting documentation for the purposes of DARE and/or HEAR and due to an oversight or unforeseen delay at the organisation’s end, they were unable to provide that documentation in a timely manner. DARE and HEAR reserve the right to verify correspondence with the third party.
- A letter from a Consultant or professional working under the instruction of the Consultant outlining the details of the circumstances that prevented the applicant from meeting the March 15 deadline.
Applicants wishing to make an March 15 deadline appeal must:
- Write to the CAO Independent Appeals Commission stating the nature of their appeal.
- Provide objective documentary evidence to support their appeal.
- Provide the required supporting documentation e.g. DARE Section B and Section C forms or HEAR evidence of Income and/or Dept. of Social Protection payments.
Appeals of this nature must be made by May 1 to:
CAO Independent Appeals Commission,
Applicants who submitted some documentation by the March 15 deadline should not make an appeal to the CAO Independent Appeals Commission. They may avail of the Review and Appeals process if they receive an ineligible application outcome.