I’m being home-schooled, do I need to submit an Educational Impact Statement?

If you are being home-schooled, you should provide at least one or more of the following:

  • The EIS completed by your post primary school (if you attended one for any length of time)
  • A letter from the Child & Family Agency (formerly the National Educational Welfare Board) or your Educational Welfare Officer
  • A letter from the Department of Education sanctioning home tuition.
Posted by / July 19, 2017

What is fitness to practice?

Students on most professional health/teaching courses are required to complete a medical declaration form confirming they do not have a disability/ significant on-going illness that may delay or prevent them starting or completing the professional programme. If you are applying for these type of courses, it is useful to discuss any questions or concerns you may have with the Disability/ Access Office in the college you are interested in.

Posted by / February 28, 2017

I have been told that I am eligible to be included in the DARE scheme. Does this mean that I now have an exemption from doing Irish/another language in my Leaving Certificate?

Applying to DARE and applying for a language waiver are two separate processes. Therefore, DARE students who require a language waiver but haven’t yet applied for one need to apply to the relevant authority (e.g. National University of Ireland, Trinity College Dublin, University of Limerick, Mary Immaculate College).


Applying for language exemptions to National University of Ireland (NUI – NUI Galway, Maynooth University, University College Cork or University College Dublin)

Students with specific learning difficulties (incl. dyslexia) seeking admission to NUI Galway, Maynooth University, UCC or UCD need to apply to the National University of Ireland for exemption from Irish and/or the Third Language requirement. The criteria applied by the National University of Ireland for the granting of exemptions from Irish and/or the Third language are not the same as for DARE; in general, NUI will grant an exemption from the Irish/ Third language requirements to students who at any stage, whether at primary or second-level school, have qualified for exemption from Irish, under the regulations of the Department of Education and Skills. To qualify under DARE, you must fulfil the DARE criteria. For further information on NUI exemptions, look under Entry Requirements or contact NUI at 014392424 or registrar@nui.ie.


TCD Language and Mathematics Waiver

Students with specific learning difficulties, sensory or communication disabilities may apply for a waiver of the modern language requirement, provided that the study of a language does not form part of their chosen course of study. In addition, students with dyscalculia, sensory or communication disabilities, may be eligible to request exemption from the minimum entry requirement of a pass in mathematics, where mathematics does not form any component of their intended course. This is a separate application to DARE. To apply for a Language Waiver, write to the Admissions Office in Trinity College by 1st July, and include a copy of your disability evidence. If you have an exemption from studying Irish, and you have not been studying a modern foreign language in school, you need to apply to Trinity for a ‘waiver’ for the language part of matriculation. Further details are available here.

Even if you have an NUI waiver, you still need to apply to the Admissions Office in Trinity.


Applying for language exemptions to University of Limerick (UL)

Students seeking to enter the University of Limerick are required to present six Leaving Certificate subjects, including English, Mathematics and Irish or one other modern language. Students with significant specific learning difficulties and hearing disabilities may apply for a waiver of the modern language requirement.

Students may receive a waiver of the Irish or modern language requirement if they:
– function intellectually at average or above average level and have a specific learning difficulty of such a degree of severity that they fail to achieve expected levels of attainment in basic language skills in English, or
– have a significant hearing impairment or are deaf, and are also failing to attain adequate levels in language skills in English.

The evidence of such a level of disability must be furnished by providing a copy of the Certificate of Exemption from Irish (Revision of Rule 46 “Rules and Programme for Secondary Schools” in relation to Irish – Circular Letter M10/94 – Department of Education). The Certificate should be forwarded directly to the University’s Admissions Office.

The granting of a language waiver does not mean that a student is eligible for the DARE supplementary admissions process, as the criteria used are different.

For further information, please see www.ul.ie/disabilityservices.


Applying for language exemptions to Mary Immaculate College, Limerick

Students should apply directly to Mary Immaculate College for a waiver from the language requirements. Language exemptions are not accepted for programmes that require a specific language requirement. Applying for a Language Waiver is a separate application to the DARE supplementary admissions process.

Posted by / February 28, 2017

I am a mature student. Can I apply to DARE?

DARE is only for school leavers with disabilities who were under 23 years of age on 1 January in the year of entry. There are different admission routes for mature students. You can find out more about these on the websites of the various colleges and universities.

Posted by / February 28, 2017

I have a disability but I think I may also be eligible for HEAR – can I apply to both schemes?

The Higher Education Access Route (HEAR) is a college and university admissions scheme for school leavers from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds and a separate process to DARE. You can also apply to the HEAR if you think this applies to you. You must submit all the documents needed for both schemes. If you are eligible for both the DARE and HEAR schemes, you will be prioritised for an offer at the CAO offers stage. You can get more information about applying to HEAR by clicking here.

Posted by / February 28, 2017

What happens if I am offered a place in college through DARE?

Whether you go to college through DARE or not, if you have a disability, you will be offered a variety of educational, technological and personal supports while studying. These supports include an orientation programme (before courses start), learning support, assistive technology, library support, exam accommodations, education support workers, and academic tuition. It is up to each college to decide which supports it will offer.

Posted by / February 28, 2017

What happens after DARE applications are assessed?

You will be notified by email of the outcome of your DARE application by the end of June. If you do not receive any correspondence by July 1, contact a member of the DARE team. You can find their contact details here.

If you are eligible, you can compete for one of the reduced points places on offer in the universities and colleges taking part in the DARE scheme.
All DARE course offers are made by the CAO.

You must meet the minimum entry and course requirements to be considered for one of the reduced points places.
Details of places available and minimum course entry requirements can be found on each participating college’s page on this site.

Posted by / February 28, 2017

What happens if my application is late?

DARE will not consider late applications. In the case where a significant difficulty was encountered in gathering and/or submitting DARE and HEAR supporting documents by the 15 March deadline, which was beyond the control of the applicant, and where documentary evidence from a third party is provided to support this, the applicant may appeal the decision not to consider the late documentation.

Posted by / February 28, 2017