My school, which takes part in the DEIS scheme, is now being amalgamated with another school and the ‘new’ school does not have DEIS status. Will I meet the HEAR school indicator?

You must have completed five years in a secondary school that takes part in the DEIS scheme in order to meet this indicator. However, the following applies if you have spent four years in a DEIS school (i.e. have not done Transition Year) and are currently sitting the Leaving Certificate in your new (amalgamated) school. You should select your DEIS school from the dropdown list on your HEAR application form and indicate attendance for 5 years on the HEAR application form.  You can then be awarded the DEIS indicator.

In other words, if you are sitting your leaving certificate in a school that has just been amalgamated, you should add this year to the number of years you attended the school that had DEIS status on your HEAR online application form.

If you have any questions on whether or not the above applies to you, you should speak to your guidance counsellor or contact a HEAR advisor.

Posted by / May 10, 2017

Due to my parent’s/ guardian’s financial circumstances, they are unable to provide the documents that HEAR requested on the application checklist. What do I provide?

Please contact a staff member in one of the participating colleges, who will be able to advise you, based on your family’s individual circumstances, what you need to provide.
Alternatively, if your parent / guardian is a client of the Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS), a statement of financial affairs from MABS, detailing your family financial situation, will be acceptable as evidence of income.

Posted by / February 7, 2017

I am currently supporting myself (through either work or social welfare) and I am completely independent of my parents/guardian. How do I fill in section 6 & 7 of my HEAR application form?

The HEAR scheme will only consider applicants who wish to be assessed independently of their parents/guardians in exceptional circumstances. If you feel your application should be considered in this way, please email one of the participating colleges (you can get their contact details from the Participating Colleges pages above), outlining your circumstances, for advice on filling in the HEAR online application form. If you are in foster care/care of the state, please go to pages 10 & 25 of the HEAR Application Handbook.

Posted by / February 7, 2017

Financial documents, what if…?


… my parent(s)/ guardian(s) cannot get a Statement of Liability for 2020?

A PAYE/USC Statement of Liability for the Tax Year 2020(formerly P21) is acceptable.

… my parent(s)/ guardian(s) cannot get a Self-Assessment Letter – Chapter 4 document?

A Notice of Assessment (Chapter 4) will be issued by Revenue to parent(s)/ guardian(s) who file a paper tax return to Revenue and who do not complete a self-assessment on that return. The majority of self-employed Revenue customers receive a Self-Assessment Letter – Chapter 4.

… my parent(s)/ guardian(s) have a ‘Notice of Amended Assessment (Chapter 4)’ or ‘Notice of Amended Assessment (Chapter 5) for 2020’?

If your parent(s)/ guardian(s) have a ‘Notice of Amended Assessment (Chapter 4)’ or ‘Notice of Amended Assessment (Chapter 5) for 2020’ from Revenue, you should send this document to the CAO. Where a Notice of Amended Assessment (Chapter 4) or Notice of Amended Assessment (Chapter 5) for 2020 is received, HEAR will not require a Self-Assessment Letter – Chapter 4 or Notice of Assessment (Chapter 4).

… one parent/ guardian was PAYE and one parent / guardian was self-employed what document do I submit?

A Self-Assessment Letter – Chapter 4 for 2020 if parent(s)/ guardian(s) are jointly assessed by Revenue should be submitted. A Statement of Liability for 2020 and a Self-Assessment Letter – Chapter 4 for 2020 is required if parents/ guardians are separately assessed by Revenue.

… my parent(s)/ guardian(s) earned income from outside the Republic of Ireland in 2020?

HEAR requests that you provide supporting documents for the tax year 1 January 2020 to 31 December 2020. Contact a member of the HEAR team for further information.

… my parent/ guardian is self-employed and is also in receipt of a Social Welfare payment?

Submit a copy of a Self-Assessment Letter – Chapter 4 for 2020, plus a Department of Social Protection form or statement as outlined in the HEAR Application Handbook.

Posted by / February 7, 2017

Can I carry forward my HEAR eligibility for 1 year?

Eligibility for HEAR carries forward for one year provided that you:

  • apply to CAO by 17:00 on 1 February 2022 and indicate that you wish to apply to the HEAR scheme by 17:00 on 1 March 2022.
  • complete ALL relevant sections of the 2022 HEAR application form.
  • supply your correct 2021 CAO number under Section 8 of the online HEAR application.

The outcome of your 2021 HEAR application was communicated to you in writing in June 2021. If you applied to CAO in 2021 and you were deemed eligible for HEAR in 2020, then your HEAR eligibility can be carried forward to your application for entry in 2022. You must enter your correct 2020 CAO application number in the box provided. You are required to complete ALL relevant sections of the 2021 HEAR application form; however, you DO NOT need to supply supporting documentation as part of your application. Applicants can contact the CAO helpdesk if they require information about their 2020 HEAR eligibility. In the event of being offered and accepting a HEAR place in 2022, you will be required to provide the original documentation, that is copies of which accompanied your 2021 HEAR application.

Posted by / February 7, 2017

What happens if I am offered a place in college through HEAR?

Students who secure college places through HEAR are offered a variety of academic, personal and social supports while studying at third level. Such supports include an orientation programme (before courses start), academic guidance and assistance, a bursary when available and advice regarding grants and scholarships.

Posted by / February 7, 2017

What happens after HEAR applicants are assessed?

You will be notified of the outcome of your HEAR application by the end of June. If you do not receive any correspondence by July 1, contact a member of the HEAR team. You can find their contact details here.

If you are eligible, you can compete for one of the reduced points places on offer in the universities and colleges taking part in the HEAR scheme.
All HEAR course offers are made by the CAO.

You must meet the minimum entry and course requirements to be considered for one of the reduced points places.
Details of places available and minimum course entry requirements can be found on each participating college’s page on this site.

Posted by / February 7, 2017

I am no longer in Care of the State. How do I make an application?

  • Answer yes to Section 4: Children in the Care of the State / TUSLA. You do not need to complete Sections 5, 6 or 7.
  • Supply a letter from TUSLA on TUSLA headed paper detailing the date you were taken into care. Submit this letter to the CAO by 17:00 on 15 March 2022.
Posted by / February 7, 2017