HEAR applicants must meet a range of financial, social and cultural indicators (criteria) to be considered for a reduced points place and extra college support. To be eligible for the HEAR Scheme, you must meet the Low Income Indicator (no. 1) plus a combination of two other indicators. If your family income is less that the HEAR Income Limit and you think you may meet a correct combination of the other HEAR indicators, you should consider applying to HEAR. You can find more information about the HEAR Income Limit and the other HEAR indicators below.
Here is a list of all the HEAR indicators. Combinations that allow you to take part in the HEAR Scheme are:
Click on each indicator below for more detailed information:
Other factors taken into consideration: Children in Care of the State / HSE / TUSLA
If you are a foster/ separated child or in the Care of the Health Service Executive / TUSLA, you must supply a letter from TUSLA stating that you are currently in the Care of TUSLA or you had previously been in the Care of the State/HSE.
A sample letter and further information is available here.
How do I apply?
When completing an online HEAR application through www.cao.ie, you will receive online prompts requesting that you submit specific documentation, e.g. prompting you to supply a P21.
You will receive a supporting document checklist at the bottom of the application form. The supporting document checklist will list what documents you need to submit to the CAO to complete your HEAR application. The checklist is based on the answers given in Section 7 of the online HEAR application form.
Posting your documentation
- Keep photocopies of ALL documents that you are posting.
- Put your name and CAO number on every document you send.
- Get proof of postage each time you are posting documentation.
- You can get a certificate of postage from An Post. For your convenience, there are four certificates of postage slips pre-printed on the back cover of the CAO Handbook. Just ask the teller in An Post to stamp one of the certificates when you are sending your documentation.
- For confirmation that the documents you posted arrived safely in CAO, enclose a stamped, self-addressed postcard with your documentation.