Find out how you can access higher education in Ireland

Do I have everything I need?

You can use this page to work out what types of documents you need to supply.  Remember your supporting documentation must be posted to CAO by 15 March

Application Checklist

Review each question and answer Yes/No to each.

Where you answer Yes, check the “Document Required” column. This tells you what documents you must send to the CAO by 15 March 2024. If you have indicated income from both parents, you must submit documents detailing both their incomes.

Click on the page links below to view further information in the specific pages of the HEAR Application Handbook. Important Note: A PAYE/USC Statement of Liability for the Tax Year 2022 (formerly P21) is now being issued by Revenue. Only PAYE/USC Statement of Liability for the Tax Year 2022 is acceptable for HEAR to show evidence of income from employment in 2022.

1. Was your parent/ guardian in paid employment in 2022 on a full, part time or temporary basis?
2. Was your parent/ guardian self-employed, engaged in farming, or receiving rent from rental properties in 2022?
Did your parent/ guardian receive any social welfare payments in 2022 other than child benefit?
Did your parent/ guardian receive any lump sum payments in 2022 from his/her former employer as a result of being made redundant?
Was your parent/ guardian retired in 2022?
  • Northern Ireland/UK Income:   

Parents/guardians in receipt of income from employment from Northern Ireland/UK can submit a Statement of Earnings and Tax (issued by Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC)) covering the period April 2021 – March 2022 or April 2022 – March 2023. 

Parents/guardians in receipt of self-employment income can submit a Notice of Assessment or Self-Assessment document issued by HMRC(April 2021 – March 2022 or April 2022 – March 2023) showing total income.

  • Children in the Care of the State/TUSLA: 

If you currently are or were in the Care of the State/TUSLA, you should tick yes to Section 4 and you do not need to complete Sections 5 to 7 (ie you will not need to provide . However you must must supply:
a letter from TUSLA on TUSLA headed stationery detailing the date you were
taken into care.

A foster child is any child who is looked after by someone else other than the parents, by an order of the court or TUSLA, without a formal adoption of the child by the person.

A separated child is any child under 18 years of age who is outside his/her country of origin and separated from both parents or his/her previous legal primary caregiver.

You can get the TUSLA letter from your social worker or project worker. See or call 01-7718500 if you have any questions.

Additional Information

Click on one of the links below to find out more about HEAR

For more information, contact the Access Office in one of the participating colleges

Who is the the HEAR access route for?

How do I apply?